Monday, May 7, 2012

Hibernation is Over.

I have written before of my daughter and her 'enthusiasm' for life. We should all have such love of simple LIFE..she laughs, sings, yells, runs, plays.
And she cries.
She has experienced a new part of life, one that I knew I couldn't protect her from forever. She was treated in a cruel manner because of her size.
She didn't tell me until much, much later. Her brother had seen and heard it, he dealt with it accordingly at the time of impact. He told me, and I waited. Held my breath and waited.
"What do I say to her?" I ask myself. "How can I make this better or easier for her?"
I can't.
I cannot take those words away from her pysche. I can't erase those feelings. I can't put a bandaid on it and tell her it will be alright. I can't kiss this boo-boo away.
So, I wait.
She tells me at bedtime, right before she falls asleep. She rolls over and puts her hand on my cheek and says, "Mommy, my heart hurts. Someone called me fat tonight and it hurt my feelings." One tear rolls down from her eye over the bridge of her nose.
I asked her what she felt like doing. "I wanted to call her a bad name but I couldn't think of one!" (she definitely didn't inherit this gene from me, such a nice little girl!).
I said, "Do you know that Mommy and Daddy love you more than anything?"
"Yes, I know."
I told her I was sorry that it happened, and that probably that little girl had a bad day (or perhaps having a 13 yr old boy yell at her and threaten to put his size 12 shoe upside her head was a bummer, but, alas..).
This moment is important~I kept screaming that in my head~say the right thing!
I had no words for her. I just didn't.
"I love you" seemed to be the only thing that would come out.
She slept.

But know this, society, I did not sleep.
All mothers SAY they would do anything for their kids. Yet part of parenting is to make sure your child isn't an asshole. That is something my husband and I work on constantly. That is WHY my daughter can't even think of something mean to say back to a nasty comment.
I will do anything for my kid. ANYTHING. And if I have to fight her battles until she is strong enough to stand up for herself, I will give her the example to follow.
I have NOTHING to prove anymore. I have screwed up over and over, played my last hand, lost and won. I have tripped, fallen, gotten up. Cried, screamed, laughed. I have NO ONE to answer to except myself and God~and if my child is hurt, I will spare nothing in educating that parent on how to NOT raise an asshole.
I keep thinking that the better part of humanity will rise and be seen and these kids will understand that if they work hard, study hard, play hard and be humble..they will EARN what is rightfully theirs.
Then my daughter is made fun of for being 'fat'.
I'm done. The next person who proves by opening his/her mouth that they have no respect for themselves or their own child by ALLOWING a kid to act like this will find out exactly and in no uncertain terms WHO they are hurting.
And then be exceedingly educated. "Raising a Decent Human: 101" by Noelle Johnson-Schoonover. I suggest that their pencil is sharpened and they are ready to take notes.
Because school is in session, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment