What do we as mothers do to encourage religion in our childrens' lives? Is it our duty, as parents, to encourage them to thinkly freely? Or is it our duty as parents to guide them into spiritual equality? Do we force them into the small box that may be our own religious beliefs? Do we show them a literal sense of the Bible?
This is my blog for today.
I grew up in a home where God was simply OK, neither great nor bad. My parents had no religioius background to speak of, at least not to speak of nicely. My father was, at best, an agnostic, one who doesn't believe but who doesn't neccessarily not believe either.
My parents bought a new home and we moved when I was thirteen. Our new neighbors, along with having three kids for me to babysit, were also the head of a local church. They asked my parents if I would like to accompany them to church and sunday school. I was allowed and so began my religious life.
It was a non-denominational congregation. Lots of music, practical sermons and general "fun" atmosphere. A good fit for me, who had nothing to go on. I went to church there for ten years, enjoying learning. It was a great stepping stone to what would become a lifetime of questions.
That family opened my eyes to what "family" in church meant. Dad was pastor. Mom was teacher.
When I started dating in high school, I met and fell in love with a young man who had an extensive religious background. Only, it was a much more charismatic type of belief. I had a huge obstacle in front of me, since he was constantly trying to make me a "better" person. He had to "save" me from myself and my "sinning" parents.
Well, if my parents were sinners, were they going to hell? Aren't we all sinners of some type?
When I met my husband, I knew he was Catholic. I knew I had a huge hill to climb with this religion. When we got engaged, it was truly expected that I convert to Catholicism. I did so, not so much with joy in my heart, but with curiousity. I enjoy learning. I really enjoyed taking the classes and learning what my future husband already knew. Most Catholics are there bc their parents were. Going in as an adult, and with an open mind helped me to recognize that religion itself is an education. This is what I struggle with as a mother to four Catholic children.
I do not pretend to know what God wants from any of us. I know He made free will. I know He forgives. I think He would always want us, as disciples or followers, to educate ourselves and our children.
I hope my children know that God loves them. In loving my children, I feel closer to God, b/c I can imagine how much he loved his only son. I hope to educate my children to feel the presence of God in their lives. My husband and I are raising our children in the Catholic church, not because it's easy (although it is) but because we feel it will be a solid stepping stone for them to continue to learn his/her own personal faith. It's a journey. It's a personal journey. I never let anyone dictate my beliefs, I do not intend to dictate to my children what they should/shouldn't believe. They need to know God loves them. There are so many ways to show love back to Him, they will find their own path later in life.
Today is Sunday. We've been to church.
Your last sentence ends it all so perfectly! You are a good mom! Train up a child in the way they should go the Bible reads NOT drag them up in religious hodge podge!!! Good going!!!
ReplyDelete